NATIONAL VALUES EDUCATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – Meaning of International Organizations | International Organization in Which Nigeria is a Member | Efforts to Stop the Problems of COVID 19, STDs, HIV and AIDS Primary 6 (Basic 6) Term 2 Week 8 Social Studies
TOPIC – PEACE EDUCATION
2. Meaning of Peace Education
3. Characteristics of Tolerance and Cooperation
4. Importance of National Unity
5. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. explain what peace education.
2. mention the characteristics of tolerance.
3. describe the attributes of cooperation operation.
4. explain what national unity means.
The pupils can state uses of national anthem and pledge.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of chart showing national Symbols.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
MEANING OF PEACE EDUCATION
Peace education is an education that enables people to understand how to tolerate, cooperate and be unite with one another.
MEANING OF TOLERANCE
Tolerance is the willingness to accept other people’s behavior, beliefs, opinions or practices that are different from your own.
CHARACTERISTICS OF TOLERANCE
1. Respect for other people’s views.
2. Respect for other people.
7. Slow to anger
LESSON 2 – MEANING OF COOPERATION
Cooperation is the process of working together for the purpose of achieving common goals.
CHARACTERISTICS OF COOPERATION
1. Communal efforts
2. Shared responsibilities
3. Helping one another in times of needs.
4. Willingness to assist
LESSON 3 – MEANING OF NATIONAL UNITY
National unity is ability to accept other people from different ethnics or groups as one, irrespective of religion, status, culture and geographical location.
IMPORTANCE OF NATIONAL UNITY
The importance of national unity are follows:
1. It increases national progress.
2. It strengthen the nation.
3. It brings about the development of the nation.
4. It helps the government of the nation to understand the people’s needs and choices.
5. It strengthen the national unity.
6. It encourages people to share values and ideas.
REVISION AND WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Teacher organizes pupils in groups or pairs to explain or discuss the meaning of peace and education.
Pupil’s Activities – Explain the meaning of peace and education.
3. Teacher uses pupil’s relevant responses to introduction the lesson – peace education.
Pupil’s Activities – Pay attention to the lesson introduction to understand the concept of peace education.
4. Teacher leads a discussion on the meaning and characteristics of tolerance and cooperation.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen and participate actively in the class discussion.
5. Teacher guides pupils to demonstrate tolerance and cooperation.
Pupil’s Activities – Based on teacher’s instructions, demonstrate tolerance and cooperation.
6. Teacher asks pupils to discuss the importance of national unity.
7. Teacher uses pupil’s relevant responses to introduce and discuss the meaning and importance of national unity.
Pupil’s Activities – Pay attention to the introduction of national unity and discuss.
8. Teacher summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the summary of the lesson and write as instructed.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Teacher asks pupils to:
1. explain what peace education.
2. explain the meaning of tolerance and cooperation.
3. mention 4 characteristics of tolerance.
4. state 4 attributes of cooperation operation.
5. explain what national unity means.
6. list 5 importance of national unity.