RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUE
THEME: OUR VALUE
PREVIOUS LESSON – Third Term Examination Civic Education Exam Questions Primary 5 (Basic 5)
TOPIC – CULTURAL DIVERSITY
1. Introductory Activities
2. Meaning of Cultural Diversity
3. Right Attitude towards Cultural Diversity in Our Society
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. explain the word: culture and diversity.
2. explain cultural diversity.
3. imbibe right attitude to cultural diversity.
The pupils can define culture and give appropriate examples.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of real cultural materials and objects.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
Course Book – Basic Social Studies for Primary Schools 4 with Security Education by E E Ezewu, J A Olawepo, C C Anadi, J A Adeyanju.
All Relevant Materials
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
MEANING OF CULTURE
Culture means ways of life.
MEANING OF DIVERSITY
Diversity means difference.
MEANING OF CULTURAL DIVERSITY
Cultural Diversity means different people with different origins, religions and traditions living and interacting with one another.
Cultural diversity has increased, exposing kids to new tastes and experiences.
EXAMPLES OF CULTURAL FOODS IN NIGERIA
Amala, Tuwo Shinkafa, Abasha, Efo riro, Oha, Masa, Okpa, Gbediri, Kilishi, Agbugbu, Ewedu, Fura da Nono and Ukwa.
Identify Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa food.
Find out the mode of greetings and dressing of –
LESSON 2 – RIGHT ATTITUDES TOWARDS CULTURAL DIVERSITY
There are different people living together as one in our society. These people have different backgrounds, culture and religion.
To live in peace and unit,
1. we must respect other people.
2. we must accept individual differences.
3. we must appreciate cultural differences.
4. we must be honest with one another.
5. we must tolerate one another.
6. we must not argue about what you don’t know.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Display sample of real objects.
3. Asks pupils to identify and mention the culture or tribe each of the objects represent.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify and mention objects of culture that belongs to the different groups in our society. For example, Lagos.
4. Discuss the right attitudes toward cultural diversity.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the class discussion.
5. Helps pupils to show or manifest cultural differences;
Pupil’s Activities – Demonstrate respect and tolerance to cultural differences.
6. Summary the key points on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to –
1. What is cultural diversity.
2. State 3 right attitudes to culture differences.
3. List 5 areas people are different in Nigeria.
4. Mention 5 languages in Lagos.
WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
1. ______ means ways of life.
2. ______ means difference.
3. Cultural diversity means ______.
A. Cultural difference
B. The same culture
C. Good culture
4. Accepting one another as one Nigeria makes us ______.
A. fighting one another
B. hating one another
C. eating one another food
5. ______ is not right towards cultural difference.