ENGLISH STUDIES – GRAMMAR
TOPIC: Reading for Further Understanding of the Relationships between Ideas
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
- Use sentences connectors and determiners in their own sentences correctly.
- Read passage based on sentences connectors and determiners.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Course book
- Cutting from newspaper or magazines
- Passages taken from other sources
- Supplementary reader
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
- Connectors between dependent and independent sentences and paragraphs – although, however, next, not only, but also….
- Reference system with the determiners and pronouns referring back – person, thing or whole ideas.
- The use connectors and determiners.
Ref – MacMillan Brilliant Primary English 5
Page 40, 47, 77, 94
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Guides pupils to make sentences orally using connectives.
- Pupil’s Activities – Use connectives correctly in sentences.
- Provides a passage which illustrates the use of connectives to develop a piece of continuous prose.
- Pupil’s Activities – Read the passage provided by the teacher
- Treats the passage with the pupils, showing how the development takes place.
- Pupil’s Activities – Identify the connectives and how they help the idea in their own.
- Supervises pupils activities.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Use sentence connectors and determiners in their own sentences correctly.
- Read passages based on sentence connectors and determiners.