Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME: PRODUCE PROCESSING AND MARKETING
TOPIC – PACKAGE CRITERIA
1. Meaning of Packaging
2. Packaging Criteria
3. Packaging Materials
By the end of the lesson, the students should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. identify what influences the choice of materials to use in packaging farm produce for sale.
2. give examples of some types of packaging materials in agriculture.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
Samples of locally available packaging items, e.g. egg trays, perforated boxes, palm frond cages etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF PACKAGING
Packaging are materials used for wrapping or protecting goods for distribution, storage, sale or personal use.
1. Nature of the produce (liquid or solid and shape).
2. Bulkiness (size).
3. Live or frozen or dry stock.
4. Distance to market.
EXAMPLES OF PACKAGING ITEMS
5. Trays, etc.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions;
2. Guides class discussion of the variety of packaging materials in use in agriculture.
Student’s Activities – Partake in providing information on packaging items they have seen before.
3. Guides discussion on what influences choice of materials for packaging farm produce.
Student’s Activities – Participate in the class discussion on what influences choice of materials for packaging farm produce.
4. Gives a board summary.
Student’s Activities – Copy board summary.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. state why some packaging items cannot be used for all farm produce.
2. list 4 examples of local packaging items.