FIRST TERM/ WEEK 6 / PRIMARY 3
THIRD TERM/ WEEK 8,9, 10/ PRIMARY 2
THEME – READING
PREVIOUS LESSON –
TOPIC – PRONUNCIATION OF VOWELS AND DIPHTHONGS
1. Vowels – a, e, I, o, u
2. Diphthongs – /ɔi/ and /eə/
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. produce vowel sounds and diphthongs correctly and
2. distinguish between vowels and diphthongs by pronouncing them correctly in words and in sentence contexts.
The pupils can separate vowel and consonant letters.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Relevant pictures of objects
2. Flash cards
3. Flannel board
4. Course book.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information – Phonemic Awareness – Using Songs and Rhymes to Identify Sounds (Primary 2)
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
FOCUS SOUNDS AND WORDS
PRONUNCIATION OF VOWELS AND DIPHTHONGS
a as in
e as in
i as in
o as in
u as in
DIPHTHONGS – /ɔi/ and /eə/
/ɔi/ as in
/eə/ as in
To be continue in other lessons,
/aɪ/ as in eye, try, fry, die, etc.
/eɪ/ as in play, away, say, pay, etc.
/ɪə/ as in ear, hear, fear, deer, etc.
/eə/ as in hair, pair, fair, wear, etc.
/aʊ/ as in cow, vow, how, now, etc.
/oʊ/ as in no, low, toe, yellow, etc.
PRODUCTION OF VOWELS AND DIPHTHONGS IN WORDS AND IN SENTENCES
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Demonstrates and pronounces the words containing the vowels and the diphthongs.
3. Show objects or their pictures while repeating the words correctly.
Pupil’s Activities – Produces the sounds in each of the words correctly.
4. Engages pupils in role play.
5. Dictates words containing vowels and diphthongs for pupils to copy.
Pupil’s Activities – Write dictations based on the use of these words.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to:
1. pronounce the sounds /ɔi/ and /ea/ correctly.
2. write correctly the words containing the vowels and diphthongs dictated by the teacher.