BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – BASIC COMPUTER OPERATIONS AND CONCEPTS
TOPIC – BASIC COMPUTER CONCEPTS
1. Meaning of Computer
2. Meaning of Computer IPO
3. Identification of Parts of Computer
4. Input and Output Devices
By the end of the lesson, the students should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. define a computer.
2. describe a computer as input process output (IPO).
3. describe the parts of a computer system.
4. list the –
- Components of a system unit
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. . A computer system
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF COMPUTER
computer can be defined as an electronic machine that accepts data as input, processes the data and gives out information.
DESCRIPTION OF A COMPUTER AS INPUT PROCESS OUTPUT (IPO) SYSTEM
IPO system means Input, Processes and Output. This means putting data into the system, doing something with the data and then displaying the results.
Example of input devices is a keyboard. The keyboard inputs the data in to the computer.
- Processes – Example of processing device is the processor (CPU). The data input are process and stored in the storage or memory device.
- Output – Examples of out are monitors and printers. These devices display the results on the monitor and print as hard copy.
PARTS OF A COMPUTER SYSTEM
1. System unit
2. Monitor ( VDU )
4. Light pen, etc.
1. Monitor (VDU)
3. Speaker, etc.
1. Central processing unit
2. Memory unit
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions;
2. Leads students to define a computer.
Student’s Activities – Define a computer.
3. Illustrates the computer as an IPO system.
Student’s Activities – Listen to the teacher’s illustrations.
4. Describe parts of a computer system.
Student’s Activities – Identify and describe part of a computer system.
5. Guides students to identify and examine the parts of a computer system.
Student’s Activities – Identify the parts of a computer.
6. Describes the functions of:
Student’s Activities – State the uses of input and output devices, system and memory unit.
7. Summary the lesson on board.
Student’s Activities – copy the board summary.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. define a computer
2. draw a simple IPO system (illustration for a computer)
3. identify the different parts of a computer system.
4. give two example of each of the following devices: