COMPUTER STUDIES (INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY)
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – BASIC COMPUTER OPERATIONS AND CONCEPTS
TOPIC – ICT APPLICATION IN EVERYDAY LIFE
1. Meaning of ICT
2. Uses of ICT in Communication
3. Uses of ICT in Timing and Control
4. Uses of ICT in Information Processing/Management
5. ICT and Society
By the end of the lesson, the students should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. state the uses of ICT in daily activities.
2. identify the impact of ICT in daily activities.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Charts and pictures of the following:
2. Documentary films
3. Multimedia presentations
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF ICT
ICT is an acronym which stands for Information and Communication Technology. ICT means all the technology used to handle telecommunications such as computer, internet, broadcasting technologies (radio and television), telephone, etc.
USES OF ICT
COMMUNICATION – USES OF ICT IN COMMUNICATION
The use of technology in communication has become a necessity, it’s now part of our lives. People communicate through emails, faxes, Mobile phones, texting services, video conferences, video chat, etc.
ICT support the efficient exchange or transfer of information between individuals, organisations and governments.
TIMING AND CONTROL – USES OF ICT IN TIMING AND CONTROL
ICT is used in timing and controlling in aircraft, automated teller machine (ATM), and scientific research. It is also be used in monitoring and reporting on state of equipment, etc.
INFORMATION PROCESSING AND MANAGEMENT – USES OF ICT IN INFORMATION PROCESSING AND MANAGEMENT
ICT is used in storing, processing and retrieving data or information, typing, keeping records of inventory, transmitting information, etc.
ICT AND SOCIETY
Information communications technology (ICT) has the power to transform society. It plays a key role in development and providing the infrastructure needed to achieve them. It also allows people to connect with millions of people instantaneously.
ICT AND DEVELOPMENT OF SOCIETY
The impacts of ICT in the society include:
ICT AND SOCIAL PROBLEMS
There are some negative effects of ICT. It has created social problems in the society.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions;
2. Prepares charts on ICT uses in everyday life.
3. Shows video clips of ICT uses in everyday life.
Student’s Activities – Watch video and note how ICT influences daily lives of people.
4. Guides students to:
- state uses of ICT in everyday life.
- identify ways ICT has improved their daily living.
Student’s Activities – Carry out a project on influence of ICT on society.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. state three everyday life uses of ICT.
2. list three ways ICT has assisted the societal development.