RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
PERFORMANCE LESSON – NECESSITY FOR DIVISION OF GOVERNMENT INTO THREE ARMS (PRIMARY 5)
TOPIC: IMPORTANCE OF GOVERNMENT
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
1. explain with examples the concept of government.
2. state reasons why every society needs a government.
3. describe what will happen to a society without government.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of photo, video clip, newspaper, Nigerian constitution and resource person.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
CONCEPT OF GOVERNMENT
Government is the system by which a state, or community or people are ruled or administered in order to ensure order, peace, development of welfare and security of the people.
WHY GOVERNMENT NECESSARY/IMPORTANCE OF GOVERNMENT
Government is necessary for control of:
- Rights of people
- Care of the common good or welfare
- Territorial integrity of nation, etc.
SOCIETY WITHOUT GOVERNMENT
Without government, there will be:
- Jungle Justice
- Abuse of rights
- Neglect of rights
- Lack of development
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Guides pupils to explain how the family and school is controlled or ruled.
- Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher’s explanation.
- Guides pupils to read the introduction to the Nigerian constitution.
- Pupil’s Activities – Participate in class discussion.
- Explains with illustration the importance of government.
- Pupil’s Activities – Ask and answer questions.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – functions of government.
1. explain the concept of government.
2. state two reasons why every society needs a government.
3. describe two things that would happen to a society without government.