PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL (JSS 1)
THEME: ATHLETICS (TRACK AND FIELD)
PREVIOUS LESSON – Safety Measures in Shot Put | The Benefits of Taking Part in Athletics JSS 1 (Basic 7)
TOPIC – SHOT PUT
1. Introductory Activities
2. Basic Skills and Techniques in Shot
3. Practical Demonstration of Shot Put Game
4. Shot Put Contest
5. Revision and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the students should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. describe the basic skills in discus and shot put.
2. perform the basic skills in discus and short put.
The students can state the safety measures of shot put.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
3. Measuring instruments
6. Video clips
8. Shot put
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Shot put can be defined as a sport competition in which a heavy round ball is thrown from a distance.
The ball is heavy and made of up metal ball.
Shot put game is played by throwing a ball from the shoulder as far as possible.
BASIC SKILLS AND TECHNIQUES IN SHOT PUT
1. Grip stance
4. Follow through the sector.
For more information, visit – Basic Shot Put Technique (Shot Put Learn-By-Doing)
LESSON 2 – TRAINING AND PRACTICAL DEMONSTRATION OF SHOT PUT GAME
Teacher’s/Student’s Activities – Training the students for shot put contest.
LESSON 3 – SHOT PUT CONTEST
The students active participation and performance will be record as their weekly assessment (Test).
1. What is ball games?
2. Give 5 examples of ball games.
3. Describe volleyball.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions; then, the teacher –
2. Explains the basic skill of shot put.
Student’s Activities – Listen to the teacher’s explanation and explain.
3. demonstrates the basic skills of discuss and shot put.
Student’s Activities – Practice the basic skills.
4. Teacher’s/Student’s Activities – Game Contest.
5. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Student’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask students to:
1. describe the basic skills of shot put.
2. list 5 basic skills of shot put.
3. perform basic skills of shot put.
4. participate in the game contest.