RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME: NATIONAL CONSCIOUSNESS
PREVIOUS LESSON –
TOPIC: MEANING AND EVIDENCE OF LOYALTY
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
1. explain loyalty and show evidence of loyalty to family, school, community, state and nation.
2. discover the sequence of it’s loyalty.
3. identify national services that shows loyalty.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- The national pledge.
- Speeches of leaders calling for loyalty.
- Resource person to talk on loyalty.
- Handbook on NYSC.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF LOYALTY
Loyalty is a strong feeling and content, shows of support to a person or institution.
Loyal services to nation e.g. NYSC, military service, law enforcement and voluntary services.
EVIDENCE OF LOYALTY
- Willingness to serve and defend
- Show goodwill
- Respect for nation and national symbols
- Good representation and protection
- Give assistance
- Make personal sacrifice
- Standby even in times of difficulty or need, etc.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Guides pupils to explain loyalty.
Pupil’s Activities – Recite and writes the national anthem.
3. Guides the pupils to write the national pledge and identify key words e.g. loyal, faithful etc.
Pupil’s Activities – Pick out key words e.g. loyal, faithful etc. Discuss in groups what is expected of us to be loyal to our families, school and nation.
4. Explains with the pupils loyalty in family, school, and country.
Pupil’s Activities – Discuss not only what you can get from your country but also what you can give.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. explain loyalty.
2. write the national pledge and show how they can act on it.
3. identify two services that require loyalty to the nation.
4. suggest two loyal services that can be rendered, to the family, school, nation etc.