PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
PREVIOUS LESSON – BENEFITS OF HAVING GOOD FRIENDS (PRIMARY 6)
TOPIC: MEANING AND IMPORTANCE OF ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
1. Explain the meaning of environmental health.
2. State the importance of environmental health.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
4. Video clips
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Environmental health is the keeping our environment in a good and healthy condition.
Our environment includes – our home, school and community. We must clean and keep our environment free and safe from all kinds of diseases by proper disposal of excreta, household refuse and and providing a good drainage.
IMPORTANCE OF ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH
1. It promotes good health.
2. It prevents sickness and diseases.
3. It improves the quality of life.
4. It brings about cleaner environment.
5. It makes people to be aware of their duties and responsibilities towards proper sanitation.
6. It removes breeding place for insects and rodents.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Explains meaning of environmental health;
Pupil’s Activities – Listen attentively to teacher’s explanation.
3. Discusses the importance of environmental health;
Pupil’s Activities – Discuss with one another, the importance of environmental health.
Pupil’s Activities – Ask questions.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – personal health (importance of vision).
1. Explain environmental health.
2. State three importance of environmental health.