WEEK 2/PRIMARY 4
PREVIOUS LESSON – FIRST TERM EXAMINATION LINKS FOR PRIMARY SCHOOLS
TOPIC: METHODS OF FARM’S PRODUCE PRESERVATION
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to state methods of farm produce preservation.
The pupils are required to already have learned farm produce preservation.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Veiled unpreserved crop
2. Preserved/fresh grains
3. Frozen meat or fish
4. Bottled drink
5. Canned meat, fish, milk, etc.
6. Food items for preservation – meat, fish, grains, cassava, yams, etc.
7. Posters or charts showing the different methods of food preservation e.g. people frying/smoking drying fish.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
PRESERVATION OF FARM PRODUCE
Preservation of farm produce is the process of keeping farm produce in good condition and from being damaged.
METHODS OF FARM PRODUCE PRESERVATION
1. Sun – drying – Fresh fish, pepper, yam, cassava, vegetable, etc.
2. Smoking – Meat and fish
3. Salting – Meat, locust beans, tomatoes, etc.
4. Frying – Meat, fish, yam, plantain, potatoes, etc.
PUPIL’S ACTIVITIES – MENTION 5 FOR EACH OTHER FARM’S PRODUCE THAT ARE PRESERVED IN THE FOLLOWING –
1. By sun drying
2. By smoking
3. By salting
4. By frying
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Guides pupils to preserve food items using familiar method.
Pupil’s Activities – Observe procedure and do group practices of different preservation methods.
3. Ask pupils to make a list of food processed and preserved by members of the family.
Pupil’s Activities – Make a list of foods processed and preserved by family members.
4. Give a board summary.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy the board summary.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – methods of preserving farm produce (cont’l).
Pupils to list 5 methods of farm produce preservation.