RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – OUR VALUES
TOPIC – COOPERATION
1. Meaning and Characteristics of Cooperation
2. Factors that promote Cooperation
3. Benefits of Cooperation
By the end of the lesson, the students should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. explain cooperation.
2. describe the attributes of cooperation.
3. identify factors that promote cooperation, trust, humility, patience, tolerance, open mindedness.
4. state the benefits of cooperation.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of Films, newspaper, radio and TV programmes, dictionary, documentaries on ECOWAS, AU, UNO, Commonwealth; Olympic games etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
Relevant link – Meaning and Characteristics of Cooperation
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF COOPERATION
Cooperation is the process whereby groups of people are working together for common goals (benefits), as opposed to working in competition for selfish benefit. That’s, to working together for the purpose of achieving common goals.
ATTRIBUTES/CHARACTERISTICS OF COOPERATION
1. Communal efforts
2. Shared responsibilities
3. Taking responsibilities
4. Helping each other in times of need
5. Willingness to assist.
FACTORS THAT PROMOTE COOPERATION
2. Setting goals together
3. Patience understanding
5. Open – mindedness, etc.
BENEFITS OF COOPERATION
There are a lot of benefits when people work together. Among these are:
1. Peace and harmony.
2. Progress among people.
3. Goal achievement.
4. Growth and development.
5. Orderliness among the people.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions;
2. Leads discussion on the meaning, attributes and benefits of cooperation.
Student’s Activities – Contribute to discussion and give examples.
3. Guides students in team activities.
Student’s Activities – Write essays on cooperation.
4. Guides students to identify factors that promote cooperation.
Student’s Activities – Relate their experiences in team activities.
5. Arranges for a guest speaker to talk to the students about cooperation.
Student’s Activities – Carry out group assignment and write report.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. explain cooperation and give two examples.
2. list three attributes of cooperation.
3. mention four factors that promote cooperation.
4. enumerate three benefits of cooperation.