Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME: PROCESSING OF AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTION
PREVIOUS LESSON – LIVESTOCK PRODUCTION (RABBITS)
TOPIC: POULTRY (CHICKENS)
1. Meaning of Poultry
2. Ways of Rearing Chickens
3. Importance of Poultry
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to –
1. meaning of poultry;
2. methods of rearing chicken;
3. importance of chicken.
The pupils are required to already have learned livestock Production.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
Charts and pictures of rabbits showing in the hatches.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
Course Book – Basic Agriculture for Primary Schools
All Relevant Material
Relevant link – Third Term Scheme of Work and Plan Lesson Note for Agriculture Primary 4 Primary 5 and Primary 6 Links
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION
MEANING OF POULTRY
Poultry are domesticated bird kept by humans for eggs, their meat or their features. Chicken is the most common type of poultry in the world.
WAYS OF REARING CHICKEN
1. Traditional method
2. Modern method
IMPORTANCE OF POULTRY
1. Source of income
2. Provision of eggs
3. Provision of meat
4. Provision of raw materials
5. Provision of poultry manure
6. Game (bird like parrot, ostrich and cock are used for games to entertain people)
7. The feathers are used for making pillows and beds.
8. The feathers are used for design and decoration.
LESSON TWO – REVISION AND WEEK 3 LESSON ASSESSMENT
As stated in performance objectives or lesson evaluation.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Shows pupils charts or posters of poultry farming – chicken;
3. Guide class discussion on meaning, methods and importance of rearing chicken;
Pupils’ activities – Participate actively in class discussion on chicken rearing.
4. Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Excursion to the nearest poultry farm.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – poultry (cont’l)
1. explain the meaning of poultry;
2. method 2 ways of rearing chicken;
3. state 5 importance of poultry.
Great Is Thy Faithfulness