THEME: FOOD AND NUTRITION
TOPIC: Boiling of Yam
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
- Discuss the process of boiling method of cooking yam.
- cook yam using boiling method.
The pupils are required to already learned method of cooking.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Charts showing the different cooking methods.
- Food ingredients for meal preparation.
- Cooking pot, stove, oven, frying pan, etc.
- Relevant books.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Boiled Yam is an easy and fast. Boiling yam is prepare with adding much ingredients.
PREPARING YAM USING BOILING METHOD
Requirements – 1 tuber of yam, salt and water.
- Cut the yam into slices
- Peel the slices
- Wash the slices
- Place in a pot and add water
- Cover the pot
- Boil till the yam is soft
- Add salt to taste and leave to cook for about 2 minutes
- Turn off the fire and drain the water.
- Serve hot with eggs, bean, red or groundnut oil, sauces, stews, etc.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Guides discussion on boiling methods of cooking.
- Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the discussions.
- Demonstrates boiling method of cooking yam.
- Pupil’s Activities – Practice boiling method of cooking yam.
- Supervises pupils practicals.
- Gives a board summary.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – moi – moi.
Pupils to cook using boiling method of cooking yam.