Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME: Civic Education
TOPIC: Meaning/Functions of Institutions in Nigeria
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor)and will be able to explain the meaning of different types of institutions in Nigeria.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of course book/materials, charts of government institutions in Nigeria and their functions.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Click to Download – FUNCTIONS OF GOVERNMENT INSTITUTIONS
FUNCTIONS OF INSTITUTIONS IN NIGERIA
NAFDAC means National Agency for Food, Drug, Administration and Control.
FUNCTIONS OF NAFDAC
- Ensure food and drug safety to deduce the prevalence of fake and substandard drugs and food substance on the market through research, policy formulation and enforcement;
- Promote consumer awareness on the safe use of medicine;
- Collaborate with federal and state ministries of health promotion activities.
ICPC means Independence Corrupt Practice Commission.
FUNCTIONS OF ICPC
- Check corruption especially in public life. Install discipline in public life;
- Enforce due process in all government transactions;
- Check bribery in public life;
- Ensure professional discipline and ethnics.
EFCC means Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.
FUNCTIONS OF EFCC
- Detect and prosecute crime;
- Fight corruption;
- Ensure transparency and accountability in public life;
- Prevent economic sabotage.
SON means Standard Organization of Nigeria.
FUNCTIONS OF SON
- Ensure high standard of consumable and non-consumable goods;
- To reduce the prevalence of goods with poor standard on the markets;
- Collaborate with the federal and state ministries of health in promoting activities.
NDLEA means National Drug Law Enforcement Agencies.
FUNCTIONS OF NDLEA
- Suppression of demand for illicit drugs and other substances of abuse;
- To recover all ill-gotten wealth, acquired from proceeds of illicit drug trade;
- To protect, enhance and maintain the image of Nigeria and Nigerians both home and abroad;
- To arrest where necessary and hand such drug abuser over to the police.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Lead pupils to mention some government institution;
- Pupil’s Activities – Mention some government institutions.
- Assist the pupils to state the full meaning of government institution;
- Pupil’s Activities – State full meaning of government institutions.
- Guides the pupils to state the functions of government institution;
- Pupil’s Activities – Mention the functions of government institutions.
- Invites a resource person to give a talk on any of the institution already identifies.
- Pupil’s Activities – Listen, ask and answer questions.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – government institutions
- Mention 4 government institutions in Nigeria;
- Give the full meaning of the following: NAFDAC, SON, EFCC, ICPC;
- Give two functions each.
[wpedon id=”4184″ align=”center”]