Track Events – 4 x 400 m Relay Race | Basic Skills of Relay Race Primary 6 (Basic 6) – Physical and Health Education
PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – TRACK AND FIELD EVENTS
PREVIOUS LESSON – Track Events – Long Distance Races – Basic Skills of Long Distance Race – The Benefits of of Running (Primary 6)
TOPIC – 4 X 400 METRES RELAY RACES
1. Introductory Activities
2. Meaning 4 x 400 m Relay Race
3. Basic Skills of Relay Race
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. describe the 4 x 400 metres relay;
2. mention the skills in relay races;
3. perform the relay skills.
The pupils do participate in their school’s inter house sport.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of Charts, Video clips, Track, Shoes (spikes), Whistle/Starting gùn, Baton, Stop watches
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Materials
Online Information – WikiHow
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
MEANING OF 4 x 400 RELAY RACE
4 × 400 metres relay race is an athletics track event. It consists of four runners in a team.
Each runner runs approximately 400 meters before handing off a baton to the next runner.
Traditionally, it is the final event of a track meet.
2. Take off
3. NON Visual Exchange – left and right exchange
LESSON 2 – 4 x 400 FIELD RELAY ACTIVITY
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. Revises the previous lesson based on the previous lesson or pupil’s knowledge.
2. Displays baton.
3. Lets pupils to identify baton and say what it is used for.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify and describe what baton is.
4. Uses their respond to explain the meaning of baton.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher’s explanation.
5. Take pupils out to demonstrate 4 x 400 relay race.
6. Uses the demonstration to describes 4 x 400 metres relay and its basic skills.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in field demonstration and listen to the teacher’s explanation.
7. Pairs up the pupils to practice baton exchange.
8. Organizes 4 x 400 relay race competition.
9. Supervises the competition.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the race competition.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Track and Field Events – Hurdle Race (Primary 6)
Ask pupils to –
1. Describe relay races.
Mention 4 skills in relay races.
6. Relay Race – boys and girls.