Last Updated on August 27, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
THEME – TRACK AND FIELD EVENTS
PREVIOUS LESSON – Track Events – 4 x 400 Relay Race – Basic Skills of Relay Race (Primary 6)
TOPIC – HURDLE
1. Introductory Activities
2. Meaning of Hurdle Race
3. Basic Skills of Hurdle Race
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to –
1. mention the skills in hurdles;
2. demonstrate the hurdle skills.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Materials
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Setup a hurdle track and instructs the pupils on how to run and jump.
Lets them know that… This types of running is known as hurdle. Asks pupils to describe the hurdle track race.
MEANING OF HURDLE
Hurdles or hurdling is a track and field event sport. It involves running and jumping over barriers (obstacles) at speed.
There are four categories of hurdle events:
100 metres (for women)
110 metres (for men)
400 metres (both men and women).
LESSON TWO – BASIC SKILLS IN HURDLE
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Practical Demonstration on basic skills of hurdle track race.
1. The Starting position
2. Approach to the 1st hurdle
3. Clearing the hurdle
4. Running between hurdle
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Explains the skills involved in hurdles;
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher.
3. Demonstrates the hurdle skills;
Pupil’s Activities – Watch teacher’s demonstration; Practice hurdle skills.
4. Supervise the pupils practice.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to attempt the following questions.
1. Describe Hurdle.
Mention 5 skills in hurdles.
Guides the people on Hurdle. 4 marks.