Last Updated on August 27, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – TRACK AND FIELD EVENTS
PREVIOUS LESSON – Track and Field Events – Hurdle Race – Basic Skills of Hurdle Race (Primary 6)
TOPIC – HIGH JUMP
1. Introductory Activities
2. Meaning of High Jump
3. Basic Skills and Style of High Jump
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to –
1. explain the meaning of high jump;
2. demonstrates the basic skills of high jump;
3. demonstrates the basic styles in high jump.
Running and simple jump
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Materials
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Setup a high jump stand, leads and guides the pupils to jump from the lowest to their limit.
Asks of their opinion about what is high jump.
MEANING OF HIGH JUMP
High jump is an athletics event which involves jumping vertically over a raised bar.
BASIC MATERIALS FOR HIGH JUMP
1. Pair of high jump stands with T – base.
2. High jump crossbar made of polyethylene foam tubes.
3. High jump mat made of foam.
HIGH JUMP BASIC TECHNIQUES/SKILLS
1. RUN UP – Preparing for take off.
2. TAKE OFF – Period between the run and the take off.
3. FLIGHT – Traveling the air.
4. LANDING – Finish jumping.
5. RECOVERY – Standing on the feet.
BASIC STYLES IN HIGH JUMP
2. STRADDLE/WESTERN ROLL
3. FOSBURY FLOP
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Explains the meaning of high jump;
3. Explains the basic skills;
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher’s explanation.
4. Demonstrates the basic styles in high jump;
Pupil’s Activities – Practice the styles of high jump.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to attempt all the questions on the workbook.
1. ________________________ is an athletics event which involves jumping vertically over a raised bar.
List 3 materials needed for high jump.
State 5 basic skills of high jump.
List 3 styles in high jump.
HIGH JUMP ACTIVITIES
Performing basic skills and style of high jump. 8 marks.