Last Updated on August 27, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – TRACK AND FIELD EVENTS
PREVIOUS LESSON – Track Events – Long Distance Races – Basic Skills of Long Distance Race – The Benefits of of Running (Primary 6)
TOPIC – 4 X 400 METRES RELAY RACES
1. Introductory Activities
2. Meaning 4 x 400 m Relay Race
3. Basic Skills of Relay Race
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to –
1. describe the 4 x 400 metres relay;
2. mention the skills in relay races;
3. perform the relay skills.
Inter House Sport Race
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Materials
Online Information – WikiHow
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Divides the pupils into four groups based on their strengths or height.
Guides and engage all the groups in a relay race and asks them to describe the race activities.
Teacher’s remark – In athletics, the two standard relays are the 4 x 100 meter relay and the 4 x 400 meter relay.
MEANING OF 4 x 400 RELAY RACE
4 × 400 metres relay race is an athletics track event. It consists of four runners in a team.
Each runner runs approximately 400 meters before handing off a baton to the next runner.
Traditionally, it is the final event of a track meet.
LESSON TWO – BASIC SKILLS/TECHNIQUES
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Practical Demonstration of the basic skills of 4 x 400 m Relay Race.
2. Take off
3. NON Visual Exchange – left and right exchange
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Explains the skills of relay races;
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher.
3. Describes 4 x 400 metres relay;
Demonstrates the relay skills;
4. Pair up to practice baton exchange.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to attempt all the questions.
1. Describe relay races.
Mention 4 skills in relay races.
6. Relay Race – boys and girls. 5 marks.