Types of Building | Common Building Materials JSS 1 (Basic 7) – Basic Technology
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL (JSS 1)
PREVIOUS LESSON –
TOPIC – BUILDING AND BUILDING MATERIALS
1. Introductory Activities
2. Types of Building
3. Common Building Materials
4. Revision and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the students should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. identify various types of building.
2. identify common building material.
The students can state different types of building.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Building plans, cement, sand, gravel.
2. Documentary on various types of building, charts and posters etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Shelter is one of the basic needs of life. A shelter is a basic architectural structure or building that provides protection from the local environment. Having a place of shelter, of safety and of retreat, i.e. a home, is commonly considered a fundamental human needs.
Sometimes, it is called house or home.
MEANING OF BUILDING
Building is a structure with walls and a roof, such as a house, factory, school, church or mosque, shop, etc.
TYPES OF BUILDINGS
1. Residential buildings – Bungalow, duplex, detached and semi detached, hut, high rise, sky scrapers, etc.
2. Educational or Institutional Building – Primary, Secondary, Polytechnic, College of Education and University Buildings.
3. Assembly Buildings – Hall, Cinema, Church or Mosque, etc.
4. Factory and Industrial Buildings
5. Worship Center – Church, Mosque or Shrine.
6. Business Building – Bank, Insurance, Filling Station, Market, Shopping Mall, etc.
7. Hospital Building
Find out common building materials.
LESSON 2 – COMMON BUILDING MATERIALS
10. Grass, etc.
Find out the uses of common building materials.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions; then, the teacher –
2. explains types of building.
Student’s Activities – Identify various types of building.
3. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Student’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask students to:
1. list types of building.
2. list five common types of building materials.
Uses of Building Materials JSS 1 (Basic 1) – Basic Technology