Understanding Electronic Mail I – Meaning of Electronic Mail (Email) | How to Create Email Primary 5/Basic 5 Term 2 Week 4 Computer Studies
THEME – BASIC CONCEPTS OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
PREVIOUS LESSON – Using Search Engines for Findings and Assignments Primary 5/Basic 5 Term 3 Week 3 Information Technology/Computer Studies
TOPIC: ELECTRONIC MAIL
2. Meaning (Examples) of Internet Browsers
3. Creating Gmail and Yahoo mail
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. explain the meaning of electronic email.
2. state the steps to create yahoo mail or gmail.
The pupils can write simple letters.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of Internet connected computer lab or cyber cafe.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Email stands for electronic mail.
Email is an electronic means of exchange message electronic devices – computer or phone.
Email address is a unique identity for an email account.
STEPS FOR CREATING EMAIL ACCOUNT
To create a Yahoo account:
- Open up your internet browser and go to the Yahoo home page: https://www.yahoo.com/
- Click on Mail at the top left corner of the page.
- You’ll now be in the `Sign In’ section. As you don’t have a Yahoo account yet, you need to Create Account.
- To set up your new account, Yahoo needs some information about you – first, your first and last name. The username is the unique email address that you wish to use, which will be placed before `yahoo.com’.
- If the email name that you requested is not available, you’ll get a message saying that the username is not available.
- Once you have successfully created email account, you will see the following message: CONGRATULATIONS
LESSON 2 – STEPS FOR CREATING EMAIL ACCOUNT
To create a Google account:
- Go to www.google.com.
- Locate and select the Sign in button in the top right corner of the page.
- Click Create an account.
- The sign up form will appear. Follow the directions by entering the required information, such as your name, birth date, and gender.
- Your account will be created, and the Google welcome page will appear.
LESSON 3 – REVISION AND WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Opens a letter/message in email box with a computer or mobile phone.
3. Asks pupils to read the letter.
Pupil’s Activities – Read the mail in groups or pairs.
4. Displays a copy of handwriting letter of the same content inside your email box.
5. Asks pupils to state similarity and different between the letter inside the inbox and the handwriting.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify the unique different between handwriting letter and electronic letter.
6. Listen to the pupils responses and use them to introduce the lesson – electronic mail.
Pupil’s Activities – Pay attention to the lesson introduction to understanding the concept of the electronic mail.
7. Explains the meaning of electronic mail.
Pupil’s Activities – define electronic mail.
8. Listen the steps to create electronic mail for both yahoo and gmail with appropriate illustration on the computer.
Pupil’s Activities – steps to create electronic mail for both yahoo and gmail.
9. Summarizes the lessons on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the lesson summary and write as instructed.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Understanding Electronic Mail – Creating Email | Sending and Receiving Emails Primary 4/Basic 4 Term 2 Week 5 Computer Studies
Asks pupils to:
1. explain the meaning of electronic mail.
2. Email stands for ____________.
3. state the steps to create yahoo mail or gmail.