Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME: GRAMMATICAL ACCURACY
PREVIOUS LESSON – SECOND TERM EXAMINATION ENGLISH STUDIES BASIC 5
TOPIC – Use of ‘So… That’ to Express Personal Opinion
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
1. Use of ‘So… That’ to express purpose orally and in writing.
2. Recognize the use of ‘So… That’ when used by one another in conversations.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Course Book – MacMillan Brilliant Primary English 5
2. Prepared sentences strips illustrating the structure.
3. Materials for substitution drill.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
Course Book – MacMillan Brilliant Primary English 5
All Relevant Material
Online Information – English Studies Page
Relevant link – Use of ‘So that’ to Express Purpose (Primary 5)
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
We use So…. Thatis used to express result.
So that is used to show purpose.
In using ‘so that’ to express personal opinion, it is hardly ever split, So… That is used in joining
Examples – Join the sentences using ”so… that.
Michael is so fat that he cannot run.
I work hard so that I may pass the test.
It is so dark that i cannot see.
We have working since morning, so we need to rest.
TEACHER’S/PUPIL’S ACTIVITIES – COMPLETE/JOIN THE SENTENCES USING ”SO… THAT”
Mr Alabi is ______________ tall ______________ he could not enter the sport car.
Michael was ______________ busy ______________ he could not attend the party.
Zinat was rude. The teacher scolded her.
My food is hot. I cannot eat it.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Provides examples of sentences with so that.
Pupil’s Activities – Repeat the new structure with ‘so… that’ to express personal opinion.
3. Lets pupils use this patterns so copiously that it becomes a habit for to use them correctly. The sentence type, ‘the teacher speaks clearly so everybody could hear him’ is also possible in a modern usage.
Pupil’s Activities – Make sentences like the given examples, individually, groups and as a class.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Assignment – MacMillan Brilliant Primary English 5 Page 72 D
- Next Lesson – Passage based on illustrating ‘when’ – adverbial structure.
Make sentences using ‘so… that’.
Use the structure taught in conversations.