THEME – BASIC CONCEPTS IN AGRICULTURE
PREVIOUS LESSON – Types of Land Primary 1 (Basic 1)
TOPIC – LAND
1. Introductory Activities
2. Uses of Land
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. state what land is.
2. state the uses of soil.
The pupils can identify land and its used.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of pictorial display of farm land, animal grazing, houses, town or villages built on land.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
Copy as I write or draw as I write. This instruction should be given when you need the pupils to write or draw.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s Activities – Display chart showing a farmland, animal grazing, houses, town or villages built on land and ask the pupils to examine the chart and state the uses of soil or land.
Pupil’s Activities – Response to the teacher’s question based on the given assignment and the chart displayed.
Teacher’s remark – Land is the solid part of the earth not covered by water. Discuss the chart with the pupils and note all points mentioned on the board.
USES OF LAND
1. It is used for farming.
2. It is used for grazing.
3. It is used for road construction.
4. It is used for building – houses, hospitals, schools, market, industries, etc.
5. It is used as playing ground.
6. It is used as relaxation and recreational center.
LESSON 2 – USES OF SOIL/LAND
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Take the pupils out for an excursion to the nearest farmland or grazing land by animals. On the way back, draw their attention to other uses of land as discussed in the previous lesson.
Find out from home –
- the uses of stone grinder.
- The local name of stone grinder.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Leads pupils to mention the uses of land in their localities.
Pupil’s Activities – List the uses of land in their areas.
3. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to:
1. Explain what land is.
2. List 3 uses of land.
WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
1. ________________ is used for farming and grazing by animals.
2. Our school is built on ________________.
3. The land where children played is called ________________.
C. playing ground
Mention 2 uses of land.