THEME – GRAMMATICAL ACCURACY
PREVIOUS LESSON – Expressing Future Action in Negative Primary 1 (Basic 1) – English Structure
TOPIC – USING PAST CONTINUOUS TENSE
By the end of the lesson, most pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to make correct sentences in the simple future tense.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Sentence strips
2. Course book
3. Other supplementary resources like newspapers or magazines.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
USING PAST CONTINUOUS TENSE
Past continuous tense is used to talk continuous actions of the past.
1. He was going to school when he fell.
2. He was coming to the house when he met John.
3. I was was listening to radio when she came in.
4. They were playing football after school.
5. Our teacher was teaching in a class.
6. She was washing the clothes when the phone rang.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Teacher explains past continuous tense.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to teacher’s explanation.
3. Demonstrates the correct use of past continuous tense in sentences.
Pupil’s Activities – Use past continuous tense in sentences.
4. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to:
1. identify past continuous tense in sentences, and
2. use past continuous tense in sentences.