Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
WEEK 10 – FIRST AID AND ITS CONTENTS
WEEK 11 – USES OF FIRST AID MATERIALS
THEME – FIRST AID AND SAFETY EDUCATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – TABLE TENNIS
WEEK 9 – MEANING, CONTENT AND USES OF FIRST BOX
PREVIOUS LESSON – Prevention of Home and School Accidents (Primary 6)
TOPIC – FIRST AID
First aid is the assistance given to any person suffering a sudden illness or injury, with care provided to preserve life, prevent the condition from worsening, or to promote recovery.
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to list the contents of a first aid box (kit) and its uses.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- first aid box and its contents
- school’s first aid box
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF FIRST AID
Many lives are saved through first aid, given before the emergency services arrived.
First aid is the immediate care and support give to someone who is injured or slicked. First aid is given by a qualified person.
MEANING OF FIRST AID BOX
A first aid box is a collection of supplies and equipment that is used to give medical treatment.
CONTENT OF FIRST AID BOX (KIT)
A basic first aid kit may contain:
1. First aid books
4. Cotton wool
5. Gentia violet
8. Plaster of different sizes
10. Safety pins
11. Hand towel
12. Antiseptic (Dettol)
13. Cleansing agent/soap
14. Splint, etc.
USES OF FIRST AID MATERIALS
Guides and lets the pupils to state the uses of each materials in first aid box.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Explains the earning of first aid box.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher’s explanation.
3. Shows the contents of a First Aid Box to pupils and lets the pupils identify each of the contents of first aid box.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify content of first aid box.
4. Guides and lets the pupils state the uses of each materials in first box.
Pupil’s Activities – State the uses of first aid materials.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to attempt all the questions.
1. ________________________ is the first assistant given before the emergency services arrived.
List 5 first aid box and its contents.
State the uses of first aid materials listed above in 2 – 5.