Last Updated on July 22, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
THEME – GAMES AND SPORTS
PREVIOUS LESSON – HISTORY OF HOCKEY IN NIGERIA (PRIMARY 5)
TOPIC: TABLE TENNIS
1. Introduction to Table Tennis
2. History of Table Tennis in Nigeria
3. Facilities and Equipment of Table Tennis
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor)and should be able to:
1. narrate the history of table tennis in Nigeria;
2. state basketball facilities and equipment;
3. draw and label a table tennis board with dimensions.
The pupils are required to already have learned in basic 4 – basic skills in table tennis.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
4. Video clips
5. Table tennis board
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Table tennis is one of the major sports in the world. It is played at all levels of competition. Both young and old people play the game but at world championships, it is a young person’s game.
The game is played by a minimum two people in form of singles and maximum of four people in form of doubles or mixed doubles.
The game takes place on a hard table divided by a net.
HISTORY OF TABLE TENNIS IN NIGERIA
Unconfirmed reports had it that the game had its origin in the kitchen, played between Mum and Dad with potatoes used as balls and frying pans used as bats and played across the table.
Table Tennis was introduced in Nigeria in the early Thirties by British. In Nigeria, table tennis is played everywhere among people of all ages and sex.
It is popular among students in the Universities, colleges, and post – primary schools. Nigeria has continued to take active part in the competition at both national and international levels.
The Nigeria Table Tennis Federation (NTTF) was formed 1951.
TABLE TENNIS FACILITIES AND EQUIPMENT
The facilities and equipment of the game of table tennis are:
1. The table tennis board
2. The net
3. The bat/racket and table tennis ball
4. The jersey
5. The sock and canvas
TABLE TENNIS DIMENSION
TEACHER’S/PUPIL’S ACTIVITIES – PLAY TABLE TENNIS
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Narrates the history of table tennis in Nigeria;
3. Discusses the facilities and equipment;
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher.
4. Draws and labels table tennis board;
Pupil’s Activities – Draw and label the court.
5. Summarizes the major points on the board;
Pupil’s Activities – ask and answer questions; write notes.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. narrates the history of table tennis in Nigeria;
2. mention the facilities and equipment;
3. draw and label table tennis board with dimensions.