Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – TRACK AND FIELD EVENTS
PREVIOUS LESSON – MIDDLE DISTANCE RACE
TOPIC – 4 X 100 RELAY RACES
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to –
- mention the techniques in relay races;
- list the techniques in relay races;
- grip the baton correctly;
- perform run-up, baton exchange and take-off.
School Annual Inter House Sport
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- video clips
- books, the track
- shoes (spike)
- whistle/starting gun
- stop watches
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Materials
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
INTRODUCTION – 4 x 100 RELAY RACES
In athletics, the two standard relays are the 4 x 100 meter relay and the 4 x 400 meter relay.
The 4 x 100 relay, also called the 400 metres relay, is a sprint relay with four runners.
Each runner runs approximately 100 meters before handing off a baton to the next runner.
BASIC SKILLS/TECHNIQUES IN RELAY RACE
1. The Baton Grip
2. The Take Off
3. The Run Up and Visual Exchange
4. The Finish Line
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Explains the skills of relay races;
- Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher and copy from the board.
- Demonstrates the skills involved in relay races;
- Pupil’s Activities – Practice the skills relay races.
- Supervises the pupil’s demonstration.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. Describe 4 x 100 relay race.
mention 4 techniques of relay races.
The teacher supervises the following skills in 4 x 100 relay race.
6. The baton grip
7. The take off
8. The run up and visual exchange
9. The finish line
4 x 100 RELAY RACE (GROUP)