Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – FAMILY
PREVIOUS LESSON – RELATIONSHIP OF SOME MEMBERS OF THE FAMILY
TOPIC – MARRIAGE
- By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to:
- explain the meaning of marriage;
- identify major types of marriages in our community.
Marriage and family
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Pictures of husbands and wives – couples.
- Pictures or photographs that shows types of marriages.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book – Basic Social Studies for Primary Schools 4 with Security Education by E E Ezewu, J A Olawepo, C C Anadi, J A Adeyanju.
- All Relevant Materials
- Online Information
Share and like our Facebook page or Twitter.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
INTRODUCTION – MARRIAGE
Marriage is the union of a man and woman as husband and wife.
The union between a man and woman is legal and lawful union. It is marriage that make husband and wife to become a family.
TYPES OF MARRIAGES
- Monogamy – One man marries one wife.
- Polygamy – One marries more than one wife.
- Polyandry – one wife marries more than one husband.
Monogamy and polygamy marriages are the most common marriage in Nigeria.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Uses questioning method to explain meaning of marriage;
- Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in answering questions.
- Uses role playing process to demonstrate types of marriages;
- Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the role playing of polygamous and monogamous families.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. Explain the meaning of marriage.
Identify 2 types of marriage in our community.
Describe types of marriage mentioned above.
Differentiate between monogamy and polygamy. 5 marks