Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME: PERSONAL, SCHOOL AND COMMUNITY HEALTH
PREVIOUS LESSON – MEANING OF PERSONAL HEALTH (PRIMARY 6)
TOPIC: ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH
1. Meaning of Environmental Health
2. Methods and Importance of Environmental Health
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
1. enumerate some methods of sewage and refuse disposal.
2. explain the importance of waste disposal.
The pupils are required to already have learned to waste disposal.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of posters, charts, dustin, waste paper basket.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
INTRODUCTION – MEANING OF ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH
Environmental health is the act of taking care of our houses and surroundings for good health. Examples are taking proper care of our water, and proper refuse disposal.
MEANING OF WASTE DISPOSAL
Waste is unwanted materials are left after used. Waste disposal is the removal of waste materials that are harmful to health.
METHODS OF SEWAGE DISPOSAL
1. Pit latrine
2 Bucket latrine
3. Trench latrine
4. Water system
METHODS OF REFUSE DISPOSAL
2. Land fill
IMPORTANCE OF WASTE DISPOSAL
1. It prevent breeding of insects, germs, files, rats, etc.
2. It prevents bad odour.
3. It prevents spread of sickness and diseases.
4. It prevents environmental pollution.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Explains the meaning of waste disposal.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen and explain the meaning of waste disposal.
3. Discusses the types and importance of waste disposal.
Pupil’s Activities – participate in the class discussions on types, methods and importance of waste disposal.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. Explain the meaning of waste disposal.
2. List two types of waste disposal.
3. Enumerate two methods of each of sewage and and refuse.
4. State any two importance of waste disposal.