PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – SPORTS AND GAMES
PREVIOUS LESSON – Physical Fitness – Meaning and Components of Physical Fitness (Primary 3)
TOPIC – SPRINT RACES
1. Introductory Activities
2. Meaning Sprint Races
3. Skills and Techniques Involved in Sprint Races
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
1. describe sprint races.
2. mention the skills involved in track events;
3. list the skills involved in track events;
4. perform the take off action;
5. perform proper arm action, running and finish.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
Whistle or starting gun
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
Online Information – Physical and Health Education (Primary 3)
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Organizes a long distance race for four (4) pupils in upper classes and short distance race for four (4) pupils in primary 3. Ask the primary 3 pupils to differentiate between the two (2) races, then introduce the lesson.
Listen to them and note their points on the board.
MEANING OF SPRINT RACE
A sprint is a short running race.
In a track and field competition there are generally three different sprint distances:
1. 100 m
2. 200 m
3. 400 m
WORKBOOK – WEEKLY ASSESSMENT
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Explains the skills involved in sprint races;
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher and copy from the board.
3. Demonstrates the skills involved in middle distance races;
Pupil’s Activities – Practice all skills as demonstrated by the teacher.
4. Observes pupils demonstration and make corrections.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
mention at least three skills involved in sprint races and high jump.
4. perform the skills.