Last Updated on September 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – BASIC MOVEMENTS
PREVIOUS LESSON – Fundamental Movement Patterns (Primary 3)
TOPIC – MOVING OUR BODY PARTS
1. Introductory Activities
2. Meaning of Physical Fitness
3. Components of Physical Fitness
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. name the components of physical fitness.
2. demonstrate each of physical fitness.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
2. Necessary equipment
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information – Physical and Health Education (Primary 3)
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Leads the pupils to perform exercises such as sit up, carry of weight, 50 – 100 metres race, sergeant jump, press up, etc. Assign each of pupils to a group of components of physical fitness.
For example –
Carrying of weight and press up will put some pupils in STRENGTH and ENDURANCE under the components of physical fitness.
Sit up – FLEXIBILITY and ENDURANCE
100 metres race – SPEED
MEANING OF PHYSICAL FITNESS
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Discussion based on their physical fitness.
Physical fitness is the state of health and well-being of a person.
It is the ability to perform a certain sports, occupations and daily activities.
COMPONENTS OF PHYSICAL FITNESS
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Based on the physical fitness, note each group on the cardboard with pupil’s name.
1. Flexibility – Michael, Segun, Seun, etc.
WORKBOOK – WEEKLY ASSESSMENT
First Term Workbook – Weekly Assessment for Physical and Health Education (Primary 3)
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Demonstrates physical fitness activities to achieve each components.
Pupil’s Activities – Demonstrate physical fitness activities to achieve each components.
3. Lists and explains the components of physical fitness.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher’s explanation.
4. Summarizes important points on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy the board summary.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. demonstrates at least four physical fitness components to achieve –
2. Lists and explains the components of physical fitness.