Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME: MARTIAL ARTS
PREVIOUS LESSON – Martial Arts – History of Judo and Importance of Judo (Primary 5)
TOPIC – RULES OF JUDO AND SKILLS OF JUDO
1. Rules ó Judo Martial Arts
2. Basic Skills and Techniques of Judo Martial Arts
3. Demonstration of Basic Skills and Techniques in Judo Martial Arts
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
1. Mention the rules of judo;
2. Demonstrate the skills and techniques involved in judo.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
Course Book – Fitness and Fun, A Physical and Health Education Course for Primary School 6
All Relevant Material
Third Term Scheme of Work and Plan Lesson Note for Physical and Health Education Primary 4 Primary 5 and Primary 6 Links
Scheme of Work First Term Physical and Health Education Basic 5
Scheme of Work Second Term Physical and Health Education Basic 5
Scheme of Work Third Term Physical and Health Education Basic 5
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION (JUDO)
Judo is a Universal Olympic sports and a method of physical, intellectual and moral education.
RULES OF JUDO
1. Intentionally injuring an opponent is not allowed.
2. Punching, kicking, and other strikes are not allowed.
3. It is not permitted to touch an opponent’s face.
4. Head dives or butts are not permitted.
5. There should be no wearing of any hard object or metal during competition.
6. There should be constant bows to each other.
7. Award of ippon decides the winner and ends the match.
8. A shido is awarded to punish an offender.
BASIC SKILLS FOR JUDO
The following are necessary skills in judo, some of which are explained further below:
1. The stance
2. The grip
9. Arm lock
LESSON TWO – DEMONSTRATION OF JUDO BASIC SKILLS, REVISION AND WEEK 4 ASSESSMENT
As stated in performance objectives or lesson evaluation and demonstrated by the pupils.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Explains the rules of Judo;
Pupil’s Activities – Listen and explain the rules of Judo.
3. Demonstrates the skills in Judo;
Pupil’s Activities – Practice the skills in Judo.
4. Writes summary of discussion on the board;
Pupil’s Activities – Write note.
5. Questions and answers;Pupil’s Activities – Listen, ask and answer questions.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. List any 4 rules in Judo;
2. Mention any 3 skills in Judo;
3. Practice the skills.