Last Updated on January 9, 2021 by Alabi M. S.
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – LEARNING ABOUT OUR ENVIRONMENT
PREVIOUS LESSON – ROAD TRAFFIC LIGHT SIGNS
TOPIC – FUNCTIONS OF EACH TRAFFIC LIGHT SIGNS COLOUR
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
state the function of each road traffic light signs.
Red, blue, etc.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of Lego sets/bricks.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION
Road traffic lights sign are lights used to control the movement of traffic. They are placed on roads. The different colors of lights tell drivers what to do.
IDENTIFICATION OF ROAD TRAFFIC LIGHTS SIGN AND COLOUR
EXPLORING THE FUNCTIONS OF TRAFFIC LIGHTS IN OUR ENVIRONMENT
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Take the pupils out to the nearby road with functional traffic lights and asks pupils to observe the action of the motorists with respect of the traffic lights.
LESSON TWO – FUNCTIONS OF ROAD TRAFFIC LIGHTS COLOUR
Red means STOP
Yellow means READY TO GO
Green means GO
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Takes pupils to observe various road traffic signs to know their functions – Red – Stop, Yellow – Ready, Green – Go.
Pupil’s Activities –
- Observe the road traffic signs to know each of its functions.
- Match the colours of road traffic light with the functions.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
State the functions of each of the following road traffic signs:
Match the colours of road traffic light with the functions.
4. Red Go
6. Yellow Stop
7. Green Get Ready Go