Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – DRUG EDUCATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – Pathogen Diseases and Prevention – Communicable Diseases (Primary 6)
TOPIC – DRUG EDUCATION
1. Meaning of Drug Abuse
2. Dangers of Self Medication
3. Qualities Needed for Protection Against Drug Addiction
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. explain meaning of drug abuse.
2. discuss dangers of self medication on individual, family and society.
3. discuss qualities needed for protection against drug addiction.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
3. Musical instruments
5. Tape recorder
6. Video clips
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION (DRUG)
Drugs are substances (liquid, solid or gas) that are used to cure or prevent illness.
MEANING OF DRUG ABUSE
Drug abuse is the wrong (misuse) of drugs to get self drive. Drugs used this ways are not prescribed by doctors, nurses or pharmacists.
FACTORS THAT LEAD TO DRUG ABUSE
2. Peer pressure
4. Inability to resist the temptation
5. Drug Availability
MEANING OF SELF MEDICATION
Self medication is the use of drugs on one’s own initiative or another person’s advice, without consulting the doctors.
DANGERS OF SELF MEDICATION
A. ON INDIVIDUAL
1. Drug addiction
2. Damaging immune response
3. Increases blood pressure
4. Worsening of the condition of the individual.
5. Drug overuse.
6. Mental disorders
7. Delays medical advice and proper treatment
8. Increases anxiety and stress
9. Paralysis (inability to walk)
10. Premature death.
B. ON FAMILY
1. Poor relationships with other people and family.
2. Violence in the family.
3. Broken home
4. Financial problems
C. ON SOCIETY
1. Poor performance in school
3. School drop out
4. Poor work
5. Social outcast
6. Army robbery, etc.
LESSON TWO – QUALITIES NEEDED FOR PROTECTION AGAINST DRUG ADDICTION
1. Coping Skills
One of the most important goals in treating addiction is equipping addicts with effective coping skills.
2. Social skills
Human beings crave connection with other human beings. Skills such as appropriate eye contact, sharing, taking turns, active listening and assertive communication can also be taught directly and through role modeling.
3. Life skills
Parents play a critical role in teaching their children healthy study habits, money management, cleaning their room, staying organized and creating a daily routine.
4. Emotional skills
Harsh discipline, yelling and spanking, on the other hand, do not teach self regulation.
5. Critical thinking skills
Critical thinking encourages children to think for themselves rather than giving in to peer pressure.
Schools are effective at teaching children what to think but not necessarily how to think.
REVISION AND WEEK 8 LESSON ASSESSMENT
As stated in performance objectives or lesson evaluation.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Explains the meaning of drug abuse.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher’s explanation of drug drug.
3. Stimulates discussion on dangers of self medication and protection measures against drug addiction.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in discussion on dangers of self medication and protection measures against drug addiction.
4. Leads pupils through songs or drama that depict dangers of self medication and drug abuse.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. explain the meaning of drug abuse.
2. state two factors that can lead to drug abuse.
3. discuss two dangers of self medication on:
4. discuss two qualities needed for protection against drug addiction.