Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – LEARNING ABOUT OUR ENVIRONMENT
PREVIOUS LESSON – Water – Identification of Things that Float on Water and Sink in the Water (Primary 2)
TOPIC – SOIL
1. Meaning of Clay Soil
2. Uses of Clay Soil
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. explain clay soil.
2. list the uses of clay soil.
Uses of soil
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
Samples of garden soil (clay, loamy and sandy soils)
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Soil is the top layer of the earth.
There are three types of soil namely, sandy, clay and loamy soil.
Clay is the smallest particle found in soil.
Clay soil is sticky when it is wet but it is smooth whenever it gets dry.
USES OF CLAY SOIL
1. It is used for making pot.
2. It is used for decorations.
3. It is used for making bricks.
4. It is used used for making floor tiles.
5. It is used for building houses.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Asks pupils to identify clay soil among other soil types.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify clay soil.
3. Discusses the uses of clay soil.
Pupil’s Activities – State the uses of clay soil.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. identify clay soil among the soil sample.
2. describe the physical properties of the clay soil.
3. State 3 uses of clay soil.