Last Updated on September 5, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – LEARNING ABOUT OUR ENVIRONMENT
PREVIOUS LESSON – Measurement of Length and Mass – Mass (Primary 3)
TOPIC – TIME
1. Instruments for Time Measurement
2. Units of Time Measurement
3. Measuring Time
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. name the instrument for measuring time.
2. perform specified activities within specified time frames.
3. state metric unit of time.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. A chart showing faces of clock with different readings in second, minute, hour.
2. Wall clock.
3. Stop clock.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Displays wristwatch, table or wall clock and asks pupils, what is it used for?
Expected Response – It is used for checking time.
Teacher’s Remark – You are all correct. It is used for checking or measuring time.
INSTRUMENTS FOR TIME MEASUREMENT
2. Table clock
3. Wall clock
4. Wrist watch
5. Stop watch
UNITS OF TIME
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Asks the pupils to describe how time is measured or checked.
Teacher’s remark – Listen to the pupil’s points as they mentioned second, minute and hour hands and lets them know that, second, minute and hour are the units of time.
1. Find out how many seconds make one minute.
2. Find out how many minutes make one hour.
3. Find out how many seconds make two minute.
4. Find out how many minutes make two minute.
LESSON TWO – READING AND TELLING TIME
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Displays chart of clocks showing different time of the day.
Leads and guides the pupils to reading and tell time.
TIME MEASUREMENT ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Initiates class discussion on how to accomplish certain tasks within specified time frame.
Record the following time –
1. The time you get home ___________.
2. The time you get to lesson class ___________.
3. The time you get to school ___________.
4. The time for school’s assembly ___________.
5. The time for school’s break time and closing ___________ and ___________.
6. The days and time for Basic Science and Technology __________________________, __________________________ and __________________________.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Uses chart to teach pupils how to read time.
Pupil’s Activities – Read time correctly.
3. Guides the pupils to identify each parts of the clock’s hands.
Pupil’s Activities – Read and learn the metric unit of time.
3. Initiates class discussion on how to accomplish certain tasks within specified time frame.
Pupil’s Activities – Read a paragraph of any story from their textbook and recap the story within a set time frame.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. name 3 instruments for measuring time.
2. state 3 metric unit of time.
3. mention 2 uses of time.