Last Updated on August 16, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – LEARNING ABOUT OUR ENVIRONMENT
PREVIOUS LESSON – The Sense of Smell – The Nose (Primary 2)
TOPIC – THE SENSE OF TASTE – THE TONGUE
1. Introductory Activities
2. Importance of Tongue
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
detect taste of sweet, sour, salty and bitter food items.
Importance of tongue
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
Fruits – banana, oranges, mango, etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Provides the following items for the pupils to taste –
Taste with Tongue
4. Salty water
5. Sugary water, etc.
Pupil’s Activities –
1. Orange – sweets
2. Lemon – sour
3. 7up – sweet
4. Salty water – too much of salt
5. Sugary water – too much of sugar
TASTE OF JUICE
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Provides different fruits juice for the pupils to identify by taste the source of the juice. Label each A, B, C, etc.
Hint – Get 3 pieces each of 2 or 3 different fruits, juice out the content or blend in the case of banana and mix with water. A spoon each pupil to taste.
Pupil’s response –
A – orange taste
Teacher’s activities – Asks a question that leads to identification of tongue as sense of taste.
LESSON TWO – REPEAT LESSON ONE ON OTHER FOOD OR DRINK
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Provides sweet, sour, salty and bitter items to pupils.
3. Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities –
- Tastes sweet, sour, salty and bitter items.
- State the taste of different substances.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
state the taste of different substances.