RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
PREVIOUS LESSON – EMPLOYMENT AND PROBLEMS OF UNEMPLOYMENT (PRIMARY 4)
TOPIC – NATURAL RESOURCES (RAW MATERIALS)
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. explain what nature resources and raw materials are.
2. list raw materials in their locality.
3. state how they are obtained and what they are used for.
4. explain the importance of these raw materials.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of chart of different natural resources and sample of raw materials.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Natural resources are things or materials provided by nature for people’s use.
Natural resources are found on land, in water, underneath the ground, and in the forest. Also, land and water are natural resources.
SOME NATURAL RESOURCES IN NIGERIA
1. Land on which we build houses, and in which we plant crops.
2. Water from where we get fish and other sea food.
3. Forests from where we get timber for wood and animals which we eat as meat.
4. Farms from which we get products and food like cocoa, groundnuts, palm trees, cassava, plantain, wheat and corn.
5. Raw materials (mineral resources) from which we get things to make other useful things.
Raw materials are things we use to make other useful things.
AVAILABLE RAW MATERIALS IN NIGERIA
8. Iron, etc.
HOW RAW MATERIALS ARE OBTAINED AND WHAT THEY ARE USED FOR?
1. Cotton is grown in the farm to produce cotton fibres, which are converted into clothes in the textile industry.
2. Crude oil is got from the ground. It is refined into petroleum, engine oil, kerosene and other products.
WHAT ARE THE IMPORTANCE OF RAW MATERIALS?
1. It creates jobs for people.
2. It makes products cheaper.
3. It brings foreign exchange.
4. It is used to produce other products.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Explains the meaning of natural resources.
Pupil’s Activities – Define natural rest.
3. Guides pupils to identify the uses of different natural resources in Nigeria.
Pupil’s Activities – State the uses of natural resources.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. define natural resources.
2. mention three natural resources that are found in Nigeria.
3. define raw materials.
4. explain 4 ways the raw materials are obtained.
5. list 5 raw materials in their locality.
6. state 3 reasons why raw materials are important.