Last Updated on May 9, 2021 by Alabi M. S.
THEME – HEALTHY LIVING
PREVIOUS LESSON – Meaning of Harmful Substances | Examples of Harmful Substances | Harmful Substances that could be taken into the Body (Primary 2) – Home Economics
TOPIC – HARMFUL SUBSTANCES
1. Introductory Activities
2. Meaning and Examples of Harmful Substances
3. Effects of Harmful Substances to the Body
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. identify harmful substances that could be taken into the body.
2. state the effect of harmful substances to the body.
The pupils can identify and state the effects of harmful substances.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Charts, posters showing substances that are harmful to the body.
2. Charts and posters showing the following a drunkard or a smoker.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
Copy as I write or draw as I write. This instruction should be given when you need the pupils to write or draw.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Teacher’s Activities – Display sample of good and rotten foods for the pupils to state the effects of taken harmful substances into our body.
Pupil’s Activities – Stomach ache, vomiting, etc.
Teacher’s Remark – Correct, taken harmful substances make us unwell and if unchecked, it can caused death. We must avoid any of these substances. Note their points on the board.
MEANING OF HARMFUL SUBSTANCES
Harmful substances are food, water, fruits or drugs that are unfit for human consumption.
Examples of harmful substances are rotten fruits, under cooked food, alcohol, tobacco, drug abuse, expired drugs, unripe fruits, stale foods, etc.
EFFECTS OF HARMFUL SUBSTANCES TO THE BODY
The effects of harmful substances to the body are –
1. Running stomach
3. Weaken body
4. Contact diseases
DRAMA ON HARMFUL SUBSTANCES
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Dramatize the effects of harmful substances in the body.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Guides pupils to state some of the effects of taken harmful substances.
Pupil’s Activities – State of the effects of taken harmful substances.
3. Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Guides pupils to dramatize the effect of harmful substances taken into the body.
4. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to:
1. mention 5 substances that are harmful to the body.
2. state 2 effects of harmful substances to the body.