BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
SMASE – ASEI PDSI METHOD
PREVIOUS LESSON – Change caused by Humans Activities (Pollution) – Meaning (Types) of pollution | Meaning of Land pollution | Effects of Land pollution | Ways of Preventing of Land pollution Primary 5 (Basic 5) – Basic Science and Technology
TOPIC – CHANGE CAUSED BY HUMAN ACTIVITIES
Lesson One – Land Pollution and Its Causes
Lesson Two – Effects and Prevention of Land Pollution
Lesson Three – Revision and Test
TIME – 40 Minutes each.
By the end of the lesson, pupils should be able to:
1. explain the meaning of land pollution.
2. mention things that can pollute the land.
Land pollution is the destruction of our land surfaces directly or indirectly as a result of man’s activities and use/misuse of land resources. Land pollution does not only make the land unsafe for living it destroys the beauty of our earth.
Common causes of land pollution include dumping of refuse on the land, throwing chemicals on the soil, agricultural practices, mining, and discharge of industrial waste on land. Land pollution can have adverse effect on the health of animals and humans. The harmful chemicals that get into the soil and water can cause cancers, deformities, and skin problems.
In this lesson, the pupils will be able to understand what is land pollution and its effects on living and non living thing and how to reduce and prevent land pollution in the future.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of the school compound.
The pupils can different between clean and unclean environments. The unclean environments are characterized with different waste that are dangerous and harmful man and animals.
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
Lagos State Scheme of work
Basic Science and Technology
All Relevant Materials
Online Materials – Change caused by Humans Activities (Pollution) – Meaning (Types) of pollution | Meaning of Land pollution | Effects of Land pollution | Ways of Preventing of Land pollution Primary 5 (Basic 5) – Basic Science and Technology ASEI PDSI METHOD
ASEI PDSI LESSON NOTES
LESSON DEVELOPMENT 1 – Land Pollution and Its Causes docx
LESSON DEVELOPMENT 2 – Effects of Land Pollution and Its Prevention docx
LESSON DEVELOPMENT 3 – SHORT NOTE, REVISION AND Test docx
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Pollution is anything that makes our water, land, air and environment dirty and unsafe to use. These harmful substances introduced into the environment are called pollutants.
The types of pollution we have are land, water, air and noise pollution.
MEANING OF POLLUTION
Land pollution is the release unwanted stuff, waste materials and harmful substances on the land.
Polluted land is unsafe for human, plants and animals.
CAUSES OF LAND POLLUTION
Land pollution can happen through human activities like –
1. Dumping of refuse
3. Bush burning
4. Soil erosion
5. Agricultural activities
6. Mining activities
7. Overcrowded landfills
8. Construction activities
9. Human sewage
LESSON 2 – EFFECTS OF LAND POLLUTION
1. Loss of top most soil
2. Soil pollution
3. Water and air pollution
4. Climactic change
5. Effect on human health
6. Increased risk of wildfires
7. Cause Air pollution
8. Distraction for Tourist
LESSON 3 – PREVENTION OF LAND POLLUTION
The ways of preventing land pollution include –
1. Raising awareness
2. Reduce, Recycle and Reuse
5. Proper waste disposal
6. Law and order
WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
1. ________ is the presence in or introduction into the environment of a something which has harmful or poisonous effects.
2. Pollution is anything that makes our water, land, air and environment ________ and ________ to use.
A. clean and safe
B. clean and unsafe
C. dirty and unsafe
D. dirty and safe
3. Pollution leads to the ________ of the air, water, or land.
4. The harmful substances introduced into the environment are called ________.
5. ________ is the release unwanted stuff, waste materials and harmful substances on the land.
A. Water pollution
B. Land pollution
C. Air pollution
D. Noise pollution
6. Polluted land is ________ for humans, animals and plants.
D. all the above
7. One of these is not way of preventing land pollution.
A. Raising awareness
B. Reduce, Recycle and Reuse
C. Proper waste disposal
8. One of these is not an effect of land pollution.
A. Loss of top most soil
C. Soil pollution
D. Water and air pollution
9. Which of these is not land pollutant?
C. Bush burning
D. Soil erosion
10. Which of these is a land pollutant?
A. Proper waste disposal
C. Law and order
D. Mining activities
11. Pollution is the presence in or introduction into the environment of a something which has harmful or poisonous effects.
12. Pollution is anything that makes our water, land, air and environment clean and safe to use.
13. Reduce, recycle and reuse help to reduce land pollution.
14. Proper waste disposal increase land pollution.
15. Bush burning help to reduce land pollution.