Common Illness in the Community Primary 3 (Basic 3)
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – SOCIAL AND HEALTH ISSUES
PREVIOUS LESSON – Meaning of Illness (Primary 3)
TOPIC – ILLNESS
1. Introductory Activities
2. Meaning of Illness
3. Common Illness in the Community
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
identify common illnesses in their community.
The pupils can identify common illness.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
2. Pictures showing people suffering from one illness or the other.
3. Pictures of some causes of common illnesses.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
Copy as I write or draw as I write. This instruction should be given when you need the pupils to write or draw.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s Activities – Ask the pupils to state the common illness based on the previous assignment. Note each point mentioned by the pupils on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Headache, malaria, etc.
Teacher’s remark – A great cheer for quick response. Note each point mentioned by the pupils on the board.
Copy as I write on the board.
COMMON ILLNESSES IN THE COMMUNITY
Illness is what makes people feel unwell. The following are the common illness –
LESSON 2 – COMMON ILLNESSES IN THE COMMUNITY (CONTINUATION)
8. Typhoid fever
Find out the symptoms of common illness in the community as mentioned in the previous assignment.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Uses of guided questions to find out the common illnesses pupils have suffered before.
Pupil’s Activities – Respond to questions.
3. Assigns pupils into group work to come up with other common illnesses.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the group discussion.
4. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Symptoms of Common Illnesses in the Community (Primary 3)
1. explain what illness is.
2. identify two common illnesses in their community.