BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – BASIC COMPUTER OPERATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – Meaning of Computer | Basic Parts of Computer | Components of Computer Primary 5 (Basic 5) – Computer Studies
TOPIC: COMPUTER SYSTEM
1. Introductory Activities
2. Computer Hardware
3. Computer Software
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. Explain the term, ‘computer system’.
2. Mention the component of computer system.
3. Explain the meaning of hardware and software.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of –
functional computer system.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
computer is an electronic device that accepts data as input, processes the data and gives out information.
COMPONENT OF COMPUTER SYSTEM
There are three major components of a computer system –
These are components of computer system that can be touched by the human hand.
The following following are computer hardware –
4. system unit
8. Card reader
9. Flash drive
LESSON 2 – COMPUTER SOFTWARE
These are written programs, instructions or protocol that control and make computer function.
Software can not be touch but can only be seen on the monitor.
There are two types of computer software, application software and system software.
1. Application software performs certain task depending on the program.
2. System software run the whole system.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Asks the pupils if there is any parts of computer that can not see and touch.
Pupil’s Activities – Expected response – Yes/No.
3. Remind the pupils that parts of computer that can be see and touch is called hardware and other other parts that cannot be touched but seen on the monitor is called software.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher’s explanation.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to –
1. Differential between hardware and software.
2. Mention 5 components of Computer hardware.
3. Mention 2 types of computer software.