THEME – BASIC CONCEPTS OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
PREVIOUS LESSON – Computer Virus – Meaning of Computer Virus | Types of Computer Virus | Causes of Computer Virus Primary 4/Basic 4 Term 2 Week 5 Computer Studies
TOPIC – COMPUTER ANTIVIRUS
2. Meaning of Computer Antivirus
3. Types of Computer Antivirus
4. The Benefits of Using Antivirus
5. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. explain the meaning of computer Antivirus.
2. state types of computer Antivirus.
The pupils can explain the meaning of computer with appropriate examples.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of functional computer with/without anti – virus.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
When a computer is slow, frequently crashes, copying itself, etc. That means the computer is infected with virus.
A computer virus is a program designed to cause damage to a computer after gaining access while antivirus was designed to prevent and remove virus from the computer.
A computer virus can duplicate your personal data.
The duplicated data spread and attach itself to a program or file.
Then, slow down a computer.
MEANING OF COMPUTER ANTIVIRUS
A computer antivirus is a software program designed to help detect, prevent and remove viruses from a computer.
Antivirus prevents and remove malware by scanning, detecting and deleting viruses from a computer.
Antivirus also provides internet security applications for Windows, macOS, Android and iOS.
LESSON 2 – TYPES OF ANTIVIRUS
A computer antivirus makes the computer to be –
1. Avast Antivirus
2. Comodo Antivirus
3. Avira Antivirus
4. AVG Antivirus
5. Norton Security and Antivirus
6. Bitdefender Antivirus
7. Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)
8. Ad-Aware Antivirus
9. Amiti Antivirus
10. Panda Protection
11. Baidu Antivirus
Most of the antivirus offers freeware and paid versions that provide computer security, browser security, antivirus software, firewall, anti-phishing, antispyware, and anti-spam among other services.
THE BENEFITS OF USING ANTIVIRUS
The benefits of using antivirus on our computer system are as follows:
1. It protect computer from viruses.
2. It prevents phishing attacks
3. It scan, detect, prevent and remove virus from the computer.
4. It can removable devices like flash drive, Scanning removable devices
4. Protection against online threats
5. Firewall protection
6. Blocking spam sites and ads
7. Faster computer
8. Protection from identity theft
LESSON 3 – REVISION AND WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps –
1. Teacher the previous lesson – computer virus.
Pupil’s Activities – Explain the meaning of computer virus and their effects.
2. Teacher uses the infected computer to introduce the lesson – antivirus.
Pupil’s Activities – Pay attention to the lesson introduction to understand the concept of antivirus.
3. Teacher gets antivirus and guides pupils in groups or pairs to install it on the computer.
4. Teacher asks the groups or pairs to check their computer if the virus are still on them and describe their observations.
Pupil’s Activities – Describe what happens to the duplicated files after installing antivirus.
5. Teacher uses the pupil’s responses to lead the discussion on the meaning of antivirus.
Pupil’s Activities – Explain the meaning of antivirus.
6. Teacher displays different antivirus and asks pupils to identify each of one them.
7. Teacher states and discuss the types of antivirus.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify and participate actively in the class discussion.
8. Teacher summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in lesson summary and write as instructed.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Week 7 – MID TERM TEST AND BREAK
Teacher asks pupils to:
1. explain the meaning of antivirus.
2. state 5 types of computer antivirus.
3. list 5 benefits of using antivirus.
4. differentiate between computer virus and antivirus.
WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
1. A computer is a device designed to work with _______.
C. All of above
2. _______ is a program designed to cause damage to a computer after gaining access.
B. HIV virus
C. Computer virus
3. A computer virus can _______ your personal data.
4. A computer virus is a program designed to cause damage to a computer after gaining access while antivirus was designed to prevent and remove virus from the computer.
C. Not sure
5. _______ is a software program designed to help detect, prevent and remove viruses from a computer.
B. Computer virus
C. Computer antivirus
6. Antivirus prevents and remove malware by scanning, detecting and deleting viruses from a _______.
7. Antivirus also provides _______ applications for Windows, macOS, Android and iOS.
A. external security
B. internet security
C. personal security
8. _______ is not a computer virus.
A. resident virus
C. macro virus
9. Most of the antivirus offers _______ that provide computer security, browser security, antivirus software, firewall, anti-phishing, antispyware, and anti-spam among other services.
A. freeware only
B. paid versions only
C. freeware and paid versions
State 3 antivirus.
Mention 3 benefits of using antivirus.
17. Describe the process of installing antivirus. 4 marks
1. B. information
2. C. Computer virus
3. All options are correct.
4. B. True
5. B. computer
6. B. computer
7. B. internet security
8. B. coronavirus
9. C. freeware and paid versions
10 – 17, accept similar and reasonable answers.