NATIONAL VALUES EDUCATION
THEME – ELEMENTS OF SECURITY
PREVIOUS LESSON –
TOPIC – CONCEPT OF SECURITY 1
2. Meaning of Security
3. How Security Personnel Look Like?
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. explain the meaning of security.
2. state the importance of security.
3. explain the meaning of security personnel with appropriate example.
4. describe how security personnel look like.
The pupils can identify and describe security personnel.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of Textbooks, pictures on road accidents and fire outbreaks.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
1. Who is a security?
2. Who is a gateman?
3. Why did you lock door and window before going to bed at night?
4. Why did we switch off all our home appliances when we are going out or travelling?
5. Why did we have security in our community and school?
MEANING OF SECURITY OF LIFE AND PROPERTY
Security is the state of being free from all dangers or harms at home, in the school or anywhere you are. That’s, feeling safe at all time.
For example, when you at home with the doors or gate are locked and you feel free, safe and relax.
Insecurity is when you are not feeling safe or free from dangers.
IMPORTANCE OF SECURITY PERSONNEL
The importance of security personnel are as follows:
1. To protect life and prosperity.
2. To prevent crime.
3. To improve customer service.
4. To create safe environment.
5. To defend the national sovereign.
6. To settle dispute.
7. To create awareness on how to keep safe.
8. To foster peace and unity.
9. To guarantee privacy.
LESSON 2 – SECURITY PERSONNEL
A security personnel is any body trained and employed to protect life and prosperity from dangers or hazards.
They are either employed by the government, private body, individual or group of security to security their lives, properties or environment.
A security personnel is also known as security guard or security officer.
NIGERIA SECURITY PERSONNEL
Nigeria security personnel are the security officers trained and employed by the government of a state or county.
The Nigeria security personnel include,
1. The Nigeria Police
2. The Nigerian Armed Forces
3. The State Security Service, also known as Department State Service
4. The Nigeria Customs Service
5. The Nigeria Federal Road Safety
6. The Nigeria Immigration Service
7. The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence
8. The National Intelligence Agencies
9. The Defence Intellectual Agencies
10. The Lagos Neighborhood Safety Corps
THE PRIVATE SECURITY PERSONNEL
Nigeria security personnel are the security officers trained and employed by the private body, organizations or companies.
The private security personnel include,
1. Halogen Security
2. Synergy Guards Nigeria
3. ASA Security
4. McDon Security
5. Techno Crime Security Nigeria Ltd
6. King’s Guard
7. Damog Guards, etc.
DESCRIPTION OF A SECURITY PERSONNEL
Teacher organizes pupils in groups or pairs depending on the size of the class to describe how the security personnel look like.
1. The Nigeria Police
2. The Armed Forces
3. Private Security Guard
LESSON 3 – REVISION AND WEEK ASSESSMENT (TEST)
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Teacher organizes pupils in groups or pairs depending on the size of the class and available instructional materials.
3. Teacher displays chart showing security personnel.
4. Teacher lets the pupils identify security personnel.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify the security personnel in their communities.
5. Teacher listens to the pupils and uses their relevant responses and interactive questions to introduce the lesson.
Pupil’s Activities – Learners pay attention to the lesson introduction by responding correctly to the interactive questions.
6. Teacher leads a discussion on the meaning and importance of security.
Pupil’s Activities – Learners state and analyze the importance of security personnel in their communities.
7. Teacher uses the chart to guide the pupils as groups or pairs to describe security personnel and how they look like.
Pupil’s Activities – Differentiate between Nigeria Police and Nigerian Army.
8. Teacher summarizes the lesson on the board by asking appropriate questions.
Pupil’s Activities – Learners participate actively in the summary of the lesson by responding to the questions correctly and write as instructed.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Concept of Security – Facts about Security Primary 1 (Basic 1) – Security Education
Teacher asks pupils to:
1. explain the meaning of security.
2. mention 4 importance of security in our communities.
3. state 5 security personnel in Nigeria.
4. mention 5 ways to feel safe at home.
5. describe the look of Nigeria Police and security guard.
WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
Attempt all the questions.
1. ________ is the state of being free from all dangers or harms at home, in the school or anywhere you are.
2. ________ is any body trained and employed to protect life and prosperity from dangers or hazards
A. Insecurity personnel
B. Halogen personnel
C. Security officer
3. ________ is the security officers that are trained and managed by private security companies.
B. Halogen security
4. The security personnel that are trained and managed by government is ________.
A. Defence Security Service
B. King security
C. McDon Security
5. ________ is not government security personnel.
A. Synergy security
6. One of the security personnel is not private security.
A. Halogen security
B. Defence Security Service
C. ASA Security
7. The important of security personnel is ________.
A. permit crime
B. supporting crime
C. safeguard life and prosperity
8. ________ is not one of the features of security personnel.
9. Lagos State Neighbourhood Corp is trained and managed by ________.
A. federal government
B. local government
C. state government
10. The private security companies are license by the government.