BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – LEARNING ABOUT OUR ENVIRONMENT
PREVIOUS LESSON – Exploring Your Environment – Things in and around the Classroom, School and at Home Primary 1 (Basic 1) Term 3 Week 9 Basic Science and Technology
TOPIC – EXPLORING YOUR ENVIRONMENT
2. Meaning and Types of Roads
3. Functions of Roads
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. explain the meaning of road.
2. describe different types of roads.
3. state the importance of roads.
The pupils can identify some of the features of their immediate environment.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Exploring the different types of roads
2. Resourceful person from roads management
3. Other staff must involve in these activities.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Teacher organizes pupils in groups or pairs depending on the size of the class to identify different types of roads within their communities.
1. Truck C Roads
2. Truck B Roads
3. Truck A Roads
LESSON 2 – MEANING AND TYPES OF ROAD IN NIGERIA
A road is a wide way that link one place another.
Road always links place such streets, communities or states together.
Sometime, road link two or more countries together.
TYPES OF ROAD
1. TRUCK C ROADS
Truck C roads are local or feeder roads constructed, maintained and managed by the Works Department of local government authorities in Nigeria.
For example – Church Street to Baal Street.
2. TRUCK B ROADS
Truck B roads are the state roads that links major cities within the state.
For example – Mile 2 to Oshodi
These roads are constructed, maintained and managed by the state government.
3. TRUCK A ROADS
Truck C roads are the federal roads that links major states within the country such as Nigeria.
For example – Lagos to Ibadan Expressways
These roads are constructed, maintained and managed by the federal government.
Note – Give examples of each roads based on the pupil’s localities.
LESSON 3 – IMPORTANCE OF ROAD
The importance of road are as follows:
1. It links the streets, communities and states together.
2. It is less expensive compared with other means of transportation.
3. It is flexible and easy to manage.
4. It promotes unity among people of different cultures.
5. It leads to growth and development.
6. It is suitable for short distance.
7. It provides door to door services.
8. It brings goods and services to the people.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Teacher organizes pupils in groups or pairs depending on the size of the class.
3. Teacher takes pupils out for a walk with the community to identify different types of roads within around them.
4. Teacher asks pupils to identify and differentiate between these roads.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify and differentiate between these roads.
5. Teacher uses the trip and pupil’s responses to introduce the lesson and leads a discussion on the meaning and types of roads.
Pupil’s Activities – Explain the meaning and types of roads.
6. Teacher explains the importance of roads.
Pupil’s Activities – Analyze the importance of roads in their communities.
7. Teacher summarizes the lessons on the board with appropriate lesson evaluation.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the summary of the lesson by responding correctly to the questions and write as instructed.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to:
1. explain the meaning of road.
2. state 3 major types of roads in your community.
3, differentiate between truck A, B, and C types of roads.
4. give 3 examples of local roads in their communities.
5. mention 3 examples of state roads.
6. state 3 examples of federal roads.
7. analyze 4 importance of roads your community.