RELIGION AND NATURAL VALUES
THEME – FAMILY LIFE
PREVIOUS LESSON – Third Term Social Studies Plan Lesson Notes for Primary 5 (Basic 5)
TOPIC: EXTERNAL INFLUENCE
1. Introductory Activities
2. External Influence on Nigerian Family Life
3. External Influence on Nigerian Religion Life
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. list the foreign influence on Nigerian family life.
2. explain how religion influences Nigerian Family Life.
The pupils can identify and differentiate between Nigeria and foreign cultural objects.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Foreign articles and materials
2. Pictures and photographs of parents working in their offices
3. Pictures of churches, mosques and shrines.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Materials
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Culture is the ways of life of people in particular society.
Different people with different ideas live within and around.
Living other people’s ways of life is known as external influence.
External influences are the ways of life of other people.
EXTERNAL INFLUENCE FROM FOREIGN COUNTRIES ON NIGERIAN FAMILY LIFE
2. Marriage practice
3. Family system
4. Behaviour of family members
7. Medicine and health care
13. Arts and craft
14. Science and Technology
LESSON 2 – INFLUENCE OF RELIGION ON NIGERIAN FAMILY LIFE
Religion is another outside influence on the Nigerian family. The influence can be seen in the following –
1. Marriage pattern
2. Relationship between family member
3. General behaviour of family members.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Brings some foreign articles to the class and leads the pupils to identify them.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify the articles brought by the teacher.
3. Explains the influence of these articles on Nigerian family.
Pupil’s Activities – Name some other foreign materials.
4. Explains the influence of religion on the Nigerian family life.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify various influence which these material have had on the Nigerian family life.
5. Asks pupils to describe the behaviour of people in relation to their religious belief.
Pupil’s Activities – Describe the behaviour of some people in relation to their religious beliefs.
6. Summarizes each lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy as the teacher instructed.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to attempt the following questions.
WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
1. Family is a very important part of us.
2. _________ is made of people who are related to one another by blood.
State 4 foreign influences on the Nigerian family today.
State two ways they influence Nigerian family life.
Mention 2 influences of religion on the Nigerian family.