THEME – CONSUMER EDUCATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – Source of Income – Meaning and Source | Meaning and Examples Needs and Wants Primary 6 (Basic 6) – Home Economics
TOPIC: HOW TO SPEND MONEY WISELY
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. explain the meaning of wise buying and spending;
2. identify items of needs and wants;
3. state the advantages and ways of spending wisely.
The pupils know where to buy goods at cheaper rate.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of diagram of sources of family income.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Wise buying is knowing exactly what to buy, where to buy, when to buy and how to buy at the right price without any regret in the future.
Wise spending is the decision we make on what to buy or spend money on.
ADVANTAGES OF WISE SPENDING AND BUYING
1. Save money
2. Save time
3. Increase in savings
4. Enable you to get more goods and services for lesser price
5. Reduce unnecessary buying and spending.
LESSON 2 – HOW/WAYS TO SPEND MONEY WISELY
1. Listing items for purchase,
2. Price comparison,
3. Products comparison,
4. Bulk buying,
5. Shop alone,
6. Learn how to negotiate,
7. Don’t fool by advertisements,
8. Avoid online shopping except for price comparison.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Ask pupils where to buy goods at cheaper rate.
3. Ask pupils, why should we buy there.
Pupil’s Activities – State reasons why we should buy goods at wholesale shops.
4. Introduces the lesson and explain the meaning of wise spending.
5. Leads to state the ways of wise spending.
Pupil’s Activities – State some of the ways of spending money wisely.
6. Excursion, Role – play in wise shopping in class by comparing prices.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the market prices.
7. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy the lesson as instructed.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to:
1. explain the meaning of wise spending.
2. make a list of four market items to buy with cost estimates.
3. state three advantages of comparing prices.