NATIONAL VALUES EDUCATION
THEME – PREVENTIVE MEASURES
PREVIOUS LESSON – Preventive Measures III – Tips on How to Avoid Relating with Stranger Primary 2 (Basic 2) Term 2 Week 4 Security Education
TOPIC – NIGERIAN POLICE
2. Meaning of Security Agencies
3. Nigerian Security Agencies (Nigerian Police)
4. Functions of Nigerian Police
5. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. identify Nigerian police.
2. describe the uniform of Nigerian police.
3. state the functions of Nigerian police.
The pupils can identify and different Nigerian police from other security agencies.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of chart showing Nigerian police.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
INTRODUCTION TO SECURITY AGENCIES
A Security Agency is a government organisation which responsible for security intelligence activities within a nation.
EXAMPLES OF SECURITY AGENCIES
1. Nigerian Police Force
2. Military – Army, Navy and Air force
3. FRSC – Federal Road Safety Corp
4. NDLEA – National Drug Law Enforcement Agency.
5. SSS – State Security Service
6. I.C.P.C. – Independence Corrupt Practice Commission
7. NSCDC – Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps
8. Nigerian Correctional Service, formerly known as Nigerian Prison Service (NPS)
9. NAFDAC – National Agency for Food and Drug Control
PRIMARY DUTIES OF SECURITY AGENCIES IN NIGERIA
1. Maintain law and order in the country.
2. Protest the country against domestic threats.
3. Defend the country against internal and external aggression.
4. Protection lives and properties of the citizens.
5. Punish and distain offenders according to the law and order.
LESSON 2 – NIGERIAN POLICE
The Nigeria Police Force is one of the security agencies established to maintain law and order.
The Nigeria Police Force is the principal law enforcement agency in the country.
TYPES OF NIGERIAN POLICE UNIFORM
1. Black shirt and trouser
2. Blue shirt with black trouser.
3. Camouflage with the admixture of black, white and ash colours
FUNCTIONS OF NIGERIAN POLICE
The functions of Nigerian police are charged with the following responsibilities –
1. To prevent and detect crime.
2. To apprehend the offenders.
3. To protect life and properties.
4. To maintain internal security.
5. To perform military duties within and outside Nigeria under the police act.
LESSON 3 – REVISION AND WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps – he/she,
1. Revises the previous lesson based on the pupil’s related knowledge or experience.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in lesson review.
2. Teacher organizes the pupils in groups depending on the size of the class.
3. Teacher displays chart showing security agencies in Nigeria.
4. Teacher allows the pupils as groups to identify and describe them.
Pupil’s Activities – The pupils identify and differentiate different each security agency from one another.
5. Teacher uses the pupil’s relevant responses to introduce and discuss the meaning and duties of security agencies.
Pupil’s Activities – The pupils pay attention to the lesson introduction and participate actively in the class discussion.
6. Teacher displays chart showing Nigeria police with different uniform.
Pupil’s Activities – The pupils identify and appreciate different uniform used by Nigerian police.
7. Teacher uses the chart to lead a discussion on Nigerian police and their functions.
Pupil’s Activities – The pupils participate actively in the class discuss and analyze the importance of Nigerian police in their communities.
8. Summarizes the lesson on the board using appropriate lesson evaluation.
Pupil’s Activities – The pupils participate actively in lesson summary by responding correctly to the questions and write as instructed.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Introduction to Security Agencies – Duties of Security Agencies – Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) and Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) Primary 2 (Basic 2) Term 2 Week 6 Security Education
Teacher asks pupils to:
1. explain the meaning of security agencies.
2. mention 3 security agencies in Nigeria.
3. list 3 functions of security agencies
4. explain who is a police man.
5. state 3 functions of Nigerian police.
6. differentiate between types of uniform used by Nigerian police.
WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
1. _______ is a government organisation which responsible for security intelligence activities within a nation.
A. Personal security
B. Security agency
C. Home Security
2. _______ is one of the security agencies established to maintain law and order.
A. Nigerian army
B. Nigerian police
C. Nigerian navy
3. One of the functions of Nigerian police is _______.
A. To support crime.
B. To destroy life and prosperity.
C. To maintain law and order.
4. Is true that police is our friend?
A. Yes, it is true.
B. No, it is false.
C. Not really our friend.
5. Nigerian police performed military duties under _______.
A. military act
B. police act
C. security act.
6. Nigerian police camouflage uniform is similar to the military but different in colour.
7. Which of the following is not Nigerian security agencies?
Match the following with the correct meaning.
8. NDLEA Independence Corrupt Practice Commission
9. SSS National Drug Law Enforcement Agency
10. I.C.P.C. State Security Service