RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – ELEMENTS OF SECURITY
PREVIOUS LESSON – Identification of Security Agencies – Nigerian Police | Functions of Nigerian Police Primary 2 (Basic 2) Term 2 Week 5 Security Education
TOPIC – DUTIES OF SECURITY AGENCIES
1. Identification of Security Agencies – FRSC and LASTMA
2. Duties of Nigerian FRSC and LASTMA
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. identify the FRSC and LASTMA with their respective uniform.
2. differentiate between the functions of FRSC and LASTMA.
The pupils can identify FRSC and LASTMA on the roads.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of charts or pictures showing FRSC and LASTMA.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
A Security Agency is a government organisation which responsible for security intelligence activities within a nation. FRSC and LASTMA are security agencies owned and managed by federal and state government respectively.
FRSC AS A SECURITY AGENCY
FRSC stands Federal Road Safety Corps.
Federal Road Safety Corps is the Government Agency with statutory responsibilities for road safety administration in Nigeria.
DUTIES OF FEDERAL ROAD SAFETY CORPS
The duties of FRSC include –
1. Making the highways safe for all road users.
2. Educating road users and other members.
3. Preventing or minimizing accidents on the highway.
4. Clearing obstructions on any part of the highways.
5. Designing and producing vehicle number plates.
6. Regulating the use of mobile phones by motorists.
7. Regulating the use of seat belts and other safety devices.
8. Regulating the use of motorcycles on the highways.
LESSON 2 – LASTMA AS A SECURITY AGENCY
LASTMA stands Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
DUTIES OF LAGOS STATE TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT AUTHORITY
The duties of LASTMA includes –
1. To ensure free traffic flow on Lagos roads.
2. Install and maintain traffic control devices on the highways.
3. Relate with other traffic management agencies.
4. Conduct research on drivers’ behaviors and traffic safety.
LESSON 3 – REVISION AND WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Teacher organizes the pupils in groups depending on the size of the class.
3. Teacher displays chart showing Federal Road Safety Corp and Lagos State traffic Management Authority.
Pupil’s Activities – The pupils identify and differentiate FRSC and LASTMA by the uniforms.
4. Teacher lets the pupils examine and identify FRSC and LASTMA.
5. Teacher uses the pupils relevant responses to introduction the lesson.
Pupil’s Activities – The pupils pay attention to the lesson introduction.
6. Teacher organize an excursion to the nearest FRSC or LASTMA within their communities.
Pupil’s Activities – The pupils participate actively in an excursion to FRSC or LASTMA.
7. Teacher uses the report from excursion to lead a class discussion on the functions of FRSC and LASTMA.
Pupil’s Activities – The pupils participate actively in the class discussion by stating the functions of FRSC and LASTMA.
8. Summarizes the lesson on the board using appropriate lesson evaluation.
Pupil’s Activities – The pupils participate actively in lesson summary by responding correctly to the questions and write as instructed.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Teacher asks pupils to –
1. differentiate between FRSC and LASTMA.
2. state 3 duties of FRSC.
3. mention 3 duties of LASTMA.